30 January 2013

Sprucing Up My Notes

It's time to share my DT sample for the latest Frilly and Funkie Challenge - Spruce It Up. Rebecca has asked us to take a look around our desks or workspaces and the things on it that we use to organise, communicate and run our lives. These could include calendars, birthday/anniversary planners, writing implements, checkbooks, iPads, index card files, cell phones, file folders, etc. Then she wants us to set ourselves the challenge of making one of these 'plain jane' items into something that makes us smile every time we use it. So what to transform? Well the answer right under my nose.


So, from plain notebook to something I'll enjoy recording the highs and lows of crafting in!


Yep, all the good stuff and the disasters are written/displayed in here in an attempt to prevent repeating the mistakes and remember how to replicate the good stuff.

The beginnings of this project was a tutorial about creating faux leather by Susi (see it HERE). It took a mix of DI Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain followed by a covering of Glue n Seal to spruce up the plain cardstock (courtesy of a large online company!)

Next came one of those paste embossed experiments - in this case plain white paste roughed up slightly with water as it was drying and then smothered in DS Tarnished Brass/Antique Copper and some DI Rusty Hinge/Tea Dye. Some tin mesh and a piece of stamped/fussy cut Vintaj Patina card were layered over the top .

Then it was just a case of choosing/altering the ephemera that would be scattered over the top. The buttons and lace were very easy. As those of you who saw my desk a few weeks ago will know I have a rather large collection of them so I'm a little spoiled for choice in this regard!! A couple needed the post removing so they would sit flat and glue properly.

The rest of the bits and pieces seemed to take forever to choose. I tried postcards, images, oh all sorts of stuff before I finally settled on what would look good (in truth I could change my mind even now!!!)

For those of you who have visited the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog you will have seen my 'button' on the sidebar. Linda wanted us to find something that represented us. This little dog image was found at The Graphics Fairy and after a spot of digital alteration it looked like I do - surrounded by a pile of paper wondering what to do next!! I used Brenda Brown's UTEE in the freezer crackle method again (see my last post).

Next came a real treat from my last Funkie Junkie Boutique package - a fabulous brass key!! Love this to bits and as I felt reluctant to put it on something that may leave my sight it seemed sensible to add it to my own notebook (for future inspiration of course!!) It took a spot of Verdigris Vintaj Patina beautifully.

Here it is in all its glory. I was rather proud of the leather strap - well actually this is grungepaper with DI Vintage Photo rubbed into it and holes punched into it. 

You can just see the main part of the pocket watch - oh yes, those new X-Cut dies came into there own here - which was cut from more of the Patina'd cardstock and other mirrored card covered in archival inks and Versamagic.

The buckle took a bit of doing - some clear UTEE stamped with a buckle and then painted on the reverse with DS Tarnished Brass.  Behind it is another piece of embossed paste (Gold Ferro with extra Rennassaince Treasure Gold  to highlight the raised parts).  Oh, and a few more buttons of course!

So there you have it. Hope it inspires you in some way to improve something useful but plain in your life . To see what the rest of the team have come up with pop over to the Frilly and Funkie challenge blog . There are some superb transformations on display.  Thanks to everyone for visiting and to those of you kind enough to leave comments  thank you so much. They are really appreciated. Hugs, Jenny xx


31 comments:

  1. Jenny what a wonderful spruced up notebook! Love that youbhave used the image you chose for Frilly and Funkie on the front and it will be a wonderful place to store all your clever experiments and ideas!! I love all the techniques you have used and the colours are fab too...the leather strap is fab! Looks so real! a really wonderul make! Hugs trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - I love that key! I bought a pink pig book about 8 years ago (B was just born) to use as my notebook and pimp the cover but although I use the notebook the cover is still bare! Anyway I think my mojo has returned as I had an idea at 4am! sewing though so it will take some time..... did you play with the meltpot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is STUNNING!!! another beautiful Work of Art I cannot get over the wonderful things you create.
    It have said it before although you create a very different style of craft from me I LOVE coming here to see your fantastic work.
    Have a Great Day

    Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fantastic makeover for your notebook Jenny and all the layers look wonderful. It's a great idea to record the processes too, I know how quick I forgot things, love this idea. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous altered book, love the look!
    Suzi B xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Jenny, I love this notebook cover, you have done some beautiful techniques, and it looks fantastic. Thank you, also, for the links to various websites for techniques etc.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx
    PS All the DT projects are gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That should certainly make you smile every time you see cause it is terrific.I just love the embossing you have chosen and the colours.

    Best wishes Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome - love the browns and patinas! Great key too and by using it, you can enjoy it rather than leave it festering at the back of the drawer. Off to have a look at the challenge blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jenny, this is a wonderful make-over! Love how you made the leather items, the buckle is amazing and I really love the dog with the papers image and now that you have explained why you chose it, it is so perfect for you! The key takes centre stage, as it should and as the notebook is the 'key' to your creations could not be more perfect. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful vintage style cover you created and I adore the image of the dog (although he doesn't look a very happy chappy!).
    Gorgeous details Jenny.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great transformation, love the belt and the buckle and the bits hanging off it.

    Gorgeous work.

    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. terrific transformation job you've done on the original pad and something I'm sure you will have such pleasure using. I can identify with you not wanting to use really nice embellishments on items which go out of your sight - I'm the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your notebook! Gorgeous design and such a useful project! I was just looking at that note paper punch of mine the other day, so thanks for the reminder to use my punches! Love the background! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic project Jenny, love your transformation! The way you have done the letters, the buckle, the colours, - the list goes on and on, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally love what you've done to this drabby old notebook...PIZAZZ! A vintage keepsake! Fab sprucing up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic, your altered notebook looks wonderful, love every detail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous notebook Jenny ! Love the leather strap and the buckle, a great item for you to look at for inspiration. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh, I love it! Especially those amazing letters. Super makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous notepad... Love what you have done with a simple pad... Stunning vintage project... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jenny..........love that notebook. So perfect for keeping your recipes in and other little notes. Fabulous cover and perfect embellies to complete the look

    Crafty hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a transformation! This is absolutely gorgeous now. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the cover Jenny. You really have achieved the leather look. Brilliant! I really enjoy visiting your posts, and seeing the techniques you are using. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your notepad is gorgeous! You really spruced it up! Love that you've personalized it the image! Wonderful! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  24. The faux leather is just fabulous, embossing and all... and your embellishing is wonderful - that buckle - wow!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautifully spruced up notebook Jenny. All the elements add that vintage finish to it, but I really love the image.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely stunning! Love your sprucing up, Jenny! It made the notebook one wonderful treasure to keep drawn oder sketched treasures in!

    Beautiful as always!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the key and the patina - I have a mania for those, any bits and bobs I really enjoy working with. You have taken that pad and totally transformed it, great work as always! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful technique Jenny your Faux leather is. I bet you find yourself writing really nicely in your fabulous experiments book. Look forward to seeing the result of your recipe making. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fabulous altered book Jenny, I love your crackled dog and the Vintaj Patina's. Have a fab weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how you've made such a difference to your notebook Jenny! so many gorgeous little details like the key, the heart and the dog (favourite!).
    Hugs, Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...