25 October 2012

Top Talent Award Spotlight

Welcome back one and all and to my newest followers thank you and enjoy:) It's a bit of a milestone time at the moment both in crafting and in my 'real' life. You may have noticed that I have just reached the 100 followers milestone. This needs celebrating - leave it with me, I have a bit of a plan and will sort it out asap, promise.
Now, you were also promised you something special yesterday. A little while ago I was chosen to receive a Top Talent Award by the Our Creative Corner design team . What an honour, but wait, it didn't stop there. I was given the opportunity to be given my own 'moment in the spotlight', and that happens today!!!


I'll show you my project here, and then pop over to the Our Creative Corner blog to get a bit more of the lowdown on lil' 'ole moi:) And so without further ado...


With four men and a 5.5 stone Malamute in the house there is precious little space available for random projects to hang around. This means anything I create has to have a purpose, hence the cards and tags to put on cards (large family, many birthdays) or pots to put crafting stuff in. I have an academic diary which is beyond boring - burgundy leatherette, gold lettering, nothing remarkable. Time for a change!


The starting point was the 'red' stencilled background. Those of you who have seen my previous two posts will know this started life as bright yellow card. After a slosh of Brushed Corduroy Distress Stain, stencil through an Impressibilities stencil with Fired Brick Distress Ink. Tim Holtz has recently blogged about the use of stencils with Distress Embossing Powders (HERE). I used a Stamps Away trellis stencil with Walnut Stain Distress Embossing Powder. Love the texture this creates and the fact that it 'protects' the embossing.


This was matted/layered and had a Spellbinders edge added over a gold punched border. I'm really gonna be using this every day at work so it needed protecting with a good cover of Ranger Glue n Seal. Then the fun really began!


I'm not afraid to admit I'm VERY OCD about the details. As a result the choice of toppings changed three times - I made all sorts of stuff and then changed my mind. There is even another version of the blue tag on the reverse that will never see the light of day again:)


My final choices included; a folder made from a piece of recycled cardboard packaging coloured with Wild Honey Distress Ink, with added file tags and a piece of K&Co Ancestry paper (suitably stamped and inked); an MDF pocket watch painted with mica paints and an MDF typewriter coloured with Promarkers (both from Crafty-Emblies); a stamped gold pen, clear triple embossed; and a tag covered in Faded Jeans and Walnut Stain Distress Inks, stamped, gilded and clear embossed to finish.


And there you have it, a piece I am genuinely proud of. There is no way I would have been able to achieve this back in April when this blogging/crafting adventure began, and the thought of getting one follower was a dream. For all those of you out there who are new to this lark yourselves,
DREAM BIG, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Finally, thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way and a special thank you to Hels Sheridan for giving me the kick up the preverbial backside to start. I am eternally grateful. Finally a huge thank you to the team at Our Creative Corner for giving me this opportunity, especially the ever present/supportive Linda Coughlin, the Funkie Junkie herself, and my super guide for this process, Lisa.

Thank you for sharing this with me, don't forget to hop over to the Our Creative Corner blog HERE, and see you all very soon. Huge hugs, Buttons x

30 comments:

  1. Oooh congratulations on being Top Talent! - love this piece - made me smile when you said three different attempts - you sound so like me! Have you made up your mind about the NEC yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, many congrats about the award - so rightly deserved Buttons.
    Love what you've done with your diary. I only ever found time to cover it with sticky backed plastic and find a large elastic band to keep it closed and it's loose contents safe - I'm so impressed.
    Beautiful grungy colours and so many superb details here. I love that you mention the back of the tag being hidden forever - I often do that too! Love what you did with the distress embossing powder too.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and well deserved.

    This is a brilliant and inspiring project I am going to find a diary today to decorate lol.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could not really head out before having a look at this. Many congrats on reaching 100 followers and also for this amazing opportunity. You never fail to impress with your gorgeous, stunning creations and this one is no exception. Love, love, love it and it has been a true pleasure to see you progress to these dizzy heights. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You so deserve it, as your newly decorated diary shows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award - well deserved. Your card looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makeover on the diary is fabulous - just love it and so many wonderful details. Congratulations on the award - well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous makeover absolutely love all the details.
    Congratulations on being chosen as Top Talent... I can see why :)
    Suzi B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah - I wondered if that was it!! Fantastic to see you as the featured Top Talent, and lovely to get to read some more about you and your crafty ways... An outstanding project too... what fabulous depth and richness of colour, and - as always in your work - amazing texture and technique. I adore the sentiment: font and thought and treatment! Congratulations on your hugely deserved guest slot!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buttons, I'm not surprized at all that you got this award. Your work as always is so inspiring and you always have such interesting projects to add to your cards etc. Your diary looks Spectacular and there is so much love & work put in to it you should be so proud of yourself. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the recognition and on reaching 100 followers. Always a good feeling to know other people like your work, so a big thanks for your kind words on my asian hearts. Love what you have done with your diary,

    Ann B
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your Award, and on your followers reaching 100 it is a great feeling that people actually like coming to see what you have been doing. I was delighted when I got to 40 now it is creeping up again.
    I just Love, Love, Love your Diary, no way could I do anything like that it would end up a right proper MESS!!!!
    You are very talented and should be very proud of what you have done. Turning a simple book into a "Work of Art"
    Happy Crafting

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, Mrs!!! Very lovely piece of work, and practical to boot.... Love it!!

    5.5 stone Malamute huh? I'll take your Malamute and raise it with two Pyreneans, one at 8.5 stone, the other at 7.25 stone, plus a Golden Retriever of slim but indertiminate weight..... Hehehehehe. Share a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done on your call up, very well deserved

    What a fabulous piece to put forward, it's stunning, I love it.

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. super rålækker dagbog, flot papir og lækkert pyntet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah 100 followers...go on Buttons, your work must be seen...and it is, congrats with your Award...how great, you can be proud!
    And your creation...yeahhh amazing again and such great details!

    Enjoy,...greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great project! Stunning! So cool that you got that place in the spotlight! Very much deserved! And how great that you've reached the 100 followers milestone! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations and it richly deserved!!! A wonderful make, love the tones and textures! Buttons you are lovely and talented and these nice things are deserved so much by you! Love trace x
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratters on your well-deserved accolade and well done on the 100 followers milestone - proud to be one of them! Love this project, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Buttons, your work is so beautiful. You are on a wonderful roll and you deserve all good things. So happy you've hit that big milestone already... rock on! Let me not forget to say this book cover is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations Buttons! Your project shows just how superbly talented you are. I love its rich and warm colouring and depth, with layers like treasure. Now I've got to go and get me some stencils. Snap on turning the tag and going again on the reverse! Your fave teal works so well for contrast. Beautiful details with the embellishing. Love the sentiment - so true! Lovely to read more about you. Shine on, big hug - Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Buttons!
    WOW this is amazing. So many layers, stamping goodness and wonderful distressing. Really fabulous.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations for the "Spotlight," which I might add is so deserved as you are such a talent! More congratulations on the 100 Followers and there will be more to follow! Oh and this project is spectacular! Love all the elements and images you combined so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your award, and reaching 100 followers. Love your work, it is very inspiring. This cover is fantastic! So much to look at and take in. Thank you also for your very uplifting comments. They have been very much appreciated. Have a great week. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
  25. YAY YOU!!! I love your OCD tendencies...It produces fabulous work! You are always a top talent, and I am happy you're now a blogger! Kudos to those who have spurred you along! Love this cover...the warm tones and vintage theme are wonderful!!! I'd be proud too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH YES!!! A lady after my own heart. For many years my work diary was decorated to within an inch of its bindings! Always looked sooo good on the tabel with the navy, black and burgundy ones.
    Conratulations on your achievements which are considerable in a remarkably short time!
    Your diary says it all- Adventure begins when comfort has left you and time really is precious.
    So my blogging friend enjoy every moment wherever you might choose to wander and keep sharing your delicious ideas.
    Look out! An exuberant Ausie hug is coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Scrumptious project, you already have me getting things out of the cupboard I should have used ages ago. xx Flora

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning work Buttons. I love the vintage look which will be a talking point x hugs Annie x

    Huge Congrats on top talent spot......well deserved x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning project. Love the colours & the layers of media. Congratualtions well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow such beautiful colours and I am loving all the layers and textures, congrats on the spotlight spot, Ill be heading over there very soon to have a read. congrats as well on hitting 100 followers. I have just hit the same mile stone, and am thinking maybe I should do the same as you.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...